These days if you hear about a laser, it’s likely to be the next Star Wars trailer with Darth Vader using the Death Star to try to eliminate the rebel scum with a blast of its lasers. But Dr. Barney uses lasers all the time at his practice. And there isn’t a Wookie in sight.
Lasers offer greater precision and reduce patient discomfort. We use them in combination with traditional techniques to enhance effectiveness.
Where we use lasers
Dr. Barney, while not brandishing a laser like a random Stormtrooper, puts the high-intensity light beams to work for the following conditions:
- Gum disease — Dr. Barney uses lasers for root planing and scaling, the removal of bacteria and infected tissue from periodontal pockets, surgical reshaping of the gums to reduce the size and depth of periodontal pockets, and to promote reattachment of the gum to the tooth root.
- Gum contouring — Gum contouring with a scalpel is a painful business and involves many days of recovery. But using a diode laser, Dr. Barney can gently reshape and cut away excess tissue, leaving patients with a less gummy smile, without the lengthy recovery.
- Canker sores — A laser can seal off the nerves that were causing the pain, and can be used to break down the tissues creating the canker sores. Formerly canker sores had to be treated with lengthy corticosteroid treatments.
- Frenectomies — Lasers can be used to replace traditional surgery on both lingual frenum and labial frenum problems.
- Crown lengthening — When the gums cover too much of the crown of the teeth, lasers can be used to cut away the tissue. Again, this is much preferable to doing this job with a scalpel.
Benefits of laser dentistry
Wherever we use them, we find lasers have great benefits for our patients.
- No pain — Laser procedures usually don’t require anesthesia.
- Faster healing —Most patients following a laser procedure don’t need more than a day off work or away from their normal activity.
- Quicker procedures — Lasers have shortened the duration of many of our procedures.
- Better results — Thanks to their unequaled precision, lasers provide better results than traditional surgical tools.
Our use of lasers is just another reason to trust Dr. Barney with your dental needs. Call us at 304-754-8803 to schedule your next appointment.